Saturday, January 29, 2011

State Testing Breakfasts In A Jiffy!

Homemade Freezer Pancakes & Egg Burritos
I call these state testing burritos because I started making them on the week before state testing would start. I wanted to be sure the kiddos would start the day out with something healthy even if I didn't have time to make it in the morning. They turned out to be a big hit so I try and make them often. The kiddos will beg me to make them if I go a while without doing so.
See, I hate waking up earlier than I have to. I won't do it to work out and I won't do it to cook! So here's my solution, I make a huge amount of egg burritos or pancakes on the weekend, package them, and freeze them. It's a lot cheaper and healthier than buying similar products from the frozen food isle in your grocery store.
FOR THE EGG BURRITOS YOU'LL NEED:
12 eggs
12 tortillas (cooked or heated)
shredded cheese, probably 2 cups (I didn't measure, I just grabbed from a large bag)
1 package breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled (optional)
12 foil squares
12 wax paper squares
2 freezer bags
1 straw
 
First, in a large pan, heat your tortillas. While your heating your tortillas, crack your eggs into a large bowl. Whisk with salt, pepper, and a splash of milk if you want. Set aside. When tortillas are done, line them up, assembly line style, and fill them down the middle with cheese and egg. Fold up the sides and roll it closed. Wrap each in a square of wax paper. The wrap each in a square of foil. DO NOT lay the wax paper on the foil and then wrap it with both at the same time. When you go to reheat it in the microwave, you will remove ONLY the foil. You may want to unwrap the wax paper as well and then rewrap with the same wax paper loosely, to prevent it from sticking during reheating.








 Straw Method
 Pancakes
The pancakes are super easy. Just make them as you normally would, let them cool, and stack them in three layers in a freezer bag. Place a sheet of wax paper between each layer and use the straw method to remove any air in the bag before sealing. Again, you'll need, wax paper squares, freezer bags and a straw.
 

Pancake Layer 1
 Wax Paper Layer 1
 Pancake Layer 2
 Wax Paper Layer 2
 Pancake Layer 3
& Straw Method

 Vacuum-ish sealed and ready to be frozen!
Simply remove as many pancakes as you wish and reheat them in the microwave.
 signature2

3 comments:

sweet t makes three said...

I love your burrito folding technique! I'm going to start doing it that way from now on.

Megan said...

I love this idea of cooking ahead of time and freezing things! That would really help me when I work all day!

Sue said...

What a great time-saving idea! So nice for you to know they'll be starting the day off right! I love breakfast burritos(I like to add potatoes too)! Have a wonderful week, Lil:)