Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blueberry Coffeecake {with a healthier variation}

I'm attempting to cut down on sugar intake around here. Why? Because sugar causes belly fat and cellulite, among other things. 4 grams of sugar = 1 tsp. Did you know that? Also, most things labeled reduced fat, have more sugar to make up for the taste. It's true. Next time you're at the store compare reduced fat Peanut Butter with regular PB. YOU MUST CHECK LABELS, people!  Dr. Oz, sorry to keep referencing him, but he is EVERYWHERE! Anyway, he says you should stick to no more than 24 g of added  sugar per day. Dr. Oz's website states:
"The American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons of added sugar a day. That equals about a 100 calories worth of sugar. Unfortunately, it’s less than the sugar in one candy bar or can of soda. This doesn’t include all the natural sources of sugar from fruits, some vegetables and even some whole grains."
I miss baking. I haven't baked this whole month except for granola, which I mostly gave away. I bought some Truvia, I was going to use that to bake with and then I read all of these horrible side effects associated with it. That option was out. I've been working out every day. We've been eating uber healthy. I mean way way healthy. So last night, I gave in to my need to bake.















This was super easy. I put it together while dinner was cooking. It was the first time I tried this recipe. It is from a  The American Country Inn Bed and Breakfast Cookbook.

Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cake
From: Heavenly View B & B in Anchorage, Alaska

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. milk
1 egg
1 1/2 c. fresh Alaskan blueberries {separated into 1 cup and a 1/2 cup}

Topping:
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or more to taste
1/4 c. firm butter

In a medium mixing bowl, blend together 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, milk, egg, and 1 cup of the blueberries. Beat thoroughly for 30 seconds and spread into a greased round 9x1 1/2 inch pan or an 8x8x2-inch pan. In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over batter and top with remaining berries. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until done. Don't overbake. Serve warm with butter or honey. Serves 8

Okay here is what I did differently:

I used a mixture of half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour.
I cut the white sugar by an eighth of a cup.
I added 2 Tbls. ground flaxseed to the batter ingredients before mixing.
I mixed the batter for 15 seconds, then added the blueberries and mixed at a low speed for another 15 seconds.
I had to bake for almost 45 minutes. I baked it until it was no longer jiggly in the middle. I checked it every 5 minutes.I used and 8x8x2 square baking dish.
I added a 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats to the topping ingredients before sprinkling over the batter.

These did taste noticeably healthier. But it was delish and satisfied my craving fully. The kids loved it too and I felt happy knowing I was able to successfully swap out some ingredients.

Martha (Stewart) said that buttering your baking dish, then adding some granulated sugar prior to adding your batter makes a great little sugary crust. I think that would be perfect with this recipe and I'm going to try it next time. (So much for eating less sugar!)
signature2

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Omigoodness- those look so yummy- I am going to have to make those ASAP!

Sue said...

Woo Hoo, good for you for making it healthier, but keeping it yummy! You have to splurge a little bit, at least once in awhile:)

Megan said...

This looks delicious! Yay for y'all for eating healthier!